- In social affairs, I'm an optimist. I really do
believe that our military- industrial civilization will
- The tragedy of modern war is not so much that the
young men die but that they die fighting each
other--instead of their real enemies back home in the
- Our "neo-conservatives" are neither new nor
conservative, but old as Babylon and evil as Hell.
- There never was a good war or a bad revolution.
- Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of
existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who
wishes to replace them with others.
- Patience, n. A minor form of dispair, disguised as a
- War is God's way of teaching Americans
- War is just a racket... I spent thirty- three years
and four months in active military service as a member of
this country's most agile military force, the Marine
Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second
Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I
spent most of my time being a high class muscle- man for
Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In
short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism...
During those years, I had, as the boys in the back room
would say, a swell racket. Looking back on it, I feel
that I could have given Al Capone a few hints. The best
he could do was to operate his racket in three districts.
I operated on three continents.
- I have often thought that if a rational Fascist
dictatorship were to exist, then it would choose the
- Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to
a totalitarian state.
- If we don't believe in freedom of expression for
people we despise, we don't believe in it at
Eugene V. Debs
- While there is a lower class I am in it; while there
is a criminal element I am of it; while there is a soul
in prison, I am not free
- I have no country to fight for; my country is the
earth, and I am a citizen of the world.
- It is better to vote for what you want and not get it
than to vote for what you don't want and get it.
Vladimir Ilyich Lenin
- A lie told often enough becomes truth
- Can a nation be free if it oppresses other nations?
- While the State exists there can be no freedom; when
there is freedom there will be no State.
- Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach
a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business
- Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the
heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless
conditions. It is the opium of the people.
- Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose
but your chains.
- Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and
free than Christianity has made them good.
- In this world of sin and sorrow there is always
something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I
am not a Republican.
- I believe that all government is evil, and that
trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.
- In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is
a revolutionary act.
- Political language... is designed to make lies sound
truthful and murder respectable, and to give an
appearance of solidity to pure wind.
- War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is
- Human blunders usually do more to shape history than